Sunday 8 March 2015

The UST Chronicles

Sort of.

Last night was my second time at the University of Sto. Tomas. Yes, I've only been in UST twice albeit living on earth for almost three decades now.

The first time I went there, and on my own, was during the graduation night of Perry, which was around 5 years ago. Wow. It was that long! It still feels like just a couple of months ago. Haha! If I don't know Perry's age, I would've thought so.

Last night was my first time going to UST with a "service." The trip from SM North was quite cozy. It felt familiar. Perhaps because I've just passed by España Blvd. last Wednesday night on my way to Recto to attend the graduation of the 'third round' of Campus Alpha.


Going back in UST, I realized that the UST Hospital looks better than I imagined. Or maybe they already did some renovations. Whatever it may be, I didn't think USTH would look the way I saw it last night. I've only seen the exterior. I'd love to come inside, but hopefully not because I have a kin or friend who got hospitalized.

By the way, the reason I went to UST was to attend the beauty pageant Karla was joining. Unfortunately, I didn't have any ticket and couldn't reach Tita. Ergo, there was no option left but to follow the rule: No ticket, no entry. I didn't mind though because I was sort of "following" the hierarchy of needs. I was already hungry. I just wanted to eat.

I reckoned that missing the pageant gave me an opportunity to roam around. I went to their park. I don't know if it's official name is "UST Park" but I'm calling it with such name. And I liked it. I'd love to go back to UST, whenever possible, just to be at the UST Park. But I believe the best time to be there is at night. It's a quite place. Peaceful indeed.

Walking at the park was refreshing. I loved it. I also noticed that they have benches made of lumber, real wood. One of the things I've asked myself was, "Why didn't I become a furniture designer?" I like furniture, especially those made of wood. I like wood, anything made of wood. I actually won't mind standing in front of a wood piece/art/product for a long period of time. Even if it's just a simple handrail made of wood, I wouldn't mind staring at it longer than most people could stand.

Moving on, I noticed that they have 'posters' of the "major events" that led to Jesus' crucifixion. I happened to take photos of two 'posters' as they caught my attention.

"Mary and John at the foot of the cross"

I thought there's something about "at the foot of the cross," then I realized that yes, LET US NEVER LEAVE THE SIDE OF THE LORD JESUS. Also, staying at the foot of the cross reminds us who and what got Jesus nailed to the cross. It is because of us. It is because of our sins.

I used "is" instead of "was." At first I thought it was ungrammatical, then I remembered a passage in the Bible that says, "crucifying Him again," or something like that. So it made sense. "Is" is better than "was."

I loved the park, or my stay at the park last night. Thoughts of its venerability yet withstanding the modern times were soaring in my head. And yet it felt serene. I could sense that there's something in store for UST. Why not? It's the oldest university in Asia, since 1611.

The road goes on and on...

While taking a seat, another poster "caught" my attention. I imagined it beckoning me as if having something to tell me.

I'm referring to "The Agony in Gethsemane," which reminded me of the Lord Jesus' passion in pleading before God for our sake. Indeed, He is our Chief Intercessor, our High Priest. Also, there's #2. There really is something about number 2. Anyway, I took my time to do what I had to do since I got the names since Sunday last week.

My "roam" around the park seemed to be perfectly timed, sort of, because when I was closing in prayer my Tita called to tell me that they're about to leave [the Medical Auditorium, where the pageant was held]. Also, my walk back to where the van was parked was enough to give me time to wait for Tita, Lola, and Karla. It's way better to wait for them than being waited for.

I left the UST Park with a prayer, left the University of Sto. Tomas with the innermost desire to be back. I love its tranquility at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment