Monday 14 July 2014

THE Game

Some call it the "Pope Derby" or "Holy Derby" while others call it the "Adidas Derby." Regardless of the nickname people called the Germany vs. Argentina match in the 2014 World Cup Finals, this match was The Game of Games.

The 2014 World Cup is indeed full of dramas and a number of heart-attack moments. Late goals, (30-minute) extra time and penalties? This year's World Cup had it all. Football is the beautiful game, but it should come with a warning. Football is never for the faint-hearted.

As if I haven't had enough of the Netherlands vs. Costa Rica reaching the penalties to determine which team would make it past the quarter-finals (I was rooting for the former) and the and another PSO at the semis during The Netherlands vs. Argentina slash King Wilhelm vs. Queen Maxima match (I was rooting for the latter), not to mention the massacre of Brazil courtesy of Germany, here came the finals with extra time.

If it was another day and match, I'd be rooting for Germany. Deutschland is the team I root for after EspaƱa. It's a default because of silly reasons. However, I don't know why I couldn't fully support this team during the finals. Perhaps it's because of Messi or, more importantly, it's because Argentina represents the South America. So I was pegging Switzerland. Go Football! 

I was at peace when Mario Gotze hit the back of the net (113'). And I found myself smiling after that. Except for Brazil, it seems like all the teams I've been rooting for to win since the quarterfinals did win. Btw, I was actually just rooting for David Luiz. If it was another day, it'd be for Germany. But I guess that just tells that the original teams I'd root for are the ones that won. By elimination, Germany would top them all. And Germany did. Deutschland is now the World Cup Champions.


Congratulations, Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment