Saturday 5 July 2014

First set of 2014 World Cup Quarter Finals

Some may not believe it, but today is my first time to watch this year's World Cup. How lame, right? But I've been really busy last month and too tired to stay up until the morning. Even on weekends. It's awful because I've missed a lot of the late goal dramas, not to mention La Roja's matches. It's tough living in Asia when the World Cup host is on the other side of the planet.

But since it's already the Quarter Finals, I've been hoping to really watch the games. Thank goodness it happened.

FRA vs. GER
Germany won this, courtesy of Hummels. It wasn't really exciting. My friends were even 'complaining' for France's lack of zeal to give it all.

I was pegging Switzerland for this until I remembered which team I was rooting for next to Spain back in 2010 World Cup. Chancellor Andrea Merkel also played a part on this.

BRA vs. COL
I was also thinking of pegging Switzerland until David Luiz hit the back of the net after a free kick (69'), adding another goal to Thiago Silva's at the 6th minute. I like the guy, David Luiz. I'm not particularly keen for Brazil but I want to see him in the finals. I actually thought I was only seeing an "actual" imagination when he scored because I was wondering what it'd be like if he sends the ball (I thought about this while the ball was in midair) past the goal keeper, between and inside the posts. Then I saw David Luiz running for joy. It was actually a goal, a real one. A very beautiful one.


The feeling of rooting for Brazil became stronger when James Rodriguez of Columbia scored on penalty. I was hoping so hard that they will not equalize against the host country. Even though Brazil was leading against Colombia, the 5 minute added time was still torture. So I was definitely glad when the 2-1 score stayed until the final whistle.

Brazil off to the semis and that means I'm going to see David Luiz again. Unfortunately for Neymar, he won't be able to make it because of injury. It was his back that got hit but I'm not sure if he's also hurt somewhere. As a nurse, I'm particularly "alarmed" if the injury involves the back. I'm scared of spine injuries. Let's just hope for the best.

So next will be NED vs CRC and ARG vs BEL.

No comments:

Post a Comment