Tuesday 21 July 2015

Prince of Fire

by Daniel Silva.

Mid-2007. We were at a different bookstore at Serendra. We were asked what we wanted and I picked The Prince of Fire. But it took me 8 years before mustering the intent of reading this book. Truth be told, I've had enough of deception. It took a toll on my soul. For the record, The Prince of Fire is the latest, and probably the first book this year, in months that brought me places: Vienna, France (I've "been" to a lot.), Israel, Lebanon, and even Egypt. For the past couple of week, it kept me distracted from the troubles at work. And I am grateful.

--------

Gabriel Allon is back in Venice after unmasking Erich Radek, when a terrible explosion in Rome leads to a disturbing personal revelation: the existence of a dossier in terrorist hands that strips away his secrets, lays bare his history. Hastily recalled home, drawn once more into the heart of a service he had once forsaken, Gabriel finds himself stalking an elusive master-terrorist across a landscape drenched in generations of blood, the trail turning upon itself until, finally, he can no longer be certain who is stalking whom. And when at last the showdown comes, it will not be Gabriel alone who is threatened with destruction - for it is not his history alone that has been laid bare.

--------

Art restorer Gabriel Allon. He's probably the most troubled lead character I've known from a thriller novel. His issues however, are valid. I find it interesting.

It seems like I've lost the thoughts I've had about and while reading this novel. One thing remains though, or two rather. One, it's good to have a book that brings me to places. I've gone to Europe especially France and the Canaan (Israel-Lebanon-TransJordan). Two, it also brought tears to my eyes. I was moved to tears for various reasons while reading Prince of Fire.

If I am to share one particular thing that moved my core and soul, it was the mere mention of the name Adolf Eichmann. At first I forgot who he was although the name rang a bell. Even so, I felt a pang in my chest when I first read his name. Then my suspicion was right, that he was involved in the Holocaust. But he was not just involved. He was also an architect of this great genocide act. It went on, that hurting feeling whenever I come across his name.

Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment