Friday 26 September 2014

My first musical play in Baguio

I think it's the first time that I got to watch a (live) musical play. And it was for free. Lucky me!

It all started with my following the traffic rule at Igorot Park, which was the "No Loading and Unloading." Thus I decided to get off a bit farther because I thought the jeepney driver was also following the traffic rule. I thought wrong. So before I get "lost," I decided to get off before the next corner. As soon as I did there I saw a tarpaulin inviting people to watch a 3-act musical play about the story of Kennon. At first I thought it was about the man, Maj. Lyman Lennon. I was quite in a hurry so I didn't read everything on the tarp. But I did read global peace, history (or something about that), and the most important of all: free. I've already walked past the tarpaulin but as those key words began to sink in I thought it'd be nice to get to know the history of the City of Baguio.

Going to Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center (BGHMC) and in a computer shop were my original agenda last Wednesday. It was Matteo's birthday! I still went to BGHMC but also decided to drop by the Baguio Convention Center to watch the musical play. Thank goodness I did so.

I rarely believe in coincidence. I prefer to believe what King Solomon said, that everything has a purpose. A lot of the lines in the dialogues and songs just hit home as they remind me of what shall become of the City of Baguio, which is one of the key cities in the Philippines. If you've been attending the NPG for these past couple of years, you know what I mean.

I was seated in front on the right side close to the videographer. I'm glad it was dark, and that most people were behind me, as my eyes turned into a faucet. I just couldn't stop shedding tears. From the line of the Japanese grandfather, "Revive! Revive!" to the final act. I'm glad I had a bottle of water to keep me from being dehydrated.

I've only seen Kennon Road when we had a family vacation in Baguio while I was still in college. I was awestruck by its beauty. It was so beautiful that I got lost in words to describe it. It's been years and I don't know how Kennon Road looks today. But based on the musical play, I wouldn't be surprised if words escape me again if I pass by Kennon Road once more, but this time because of disappointment.


The musical play was so poignant in message that I decided to approach the director (too bad I can't remember his name) and thank him for the wonderful play. He told me that the story had been in his dreams around 2005-2006. Sounds familiar? "Old men will dream dreams." Joel chapter 2. No wonder the play didn't just reach my ears and soul but also my spirit.

From what I've watched and learned, I do believe on what the musical play claims Benguet Road to be. Kennon: Road to Global Peace and Unity


Now Playing: One Rock - The Beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment