Friday 26 September 2014

Kennon: Road to Global Peace and Unity [musical play]

I got to watch Kennon: Road to Global Peace and Unity, a three-act musical play, twice. Hehe.. If only I could, I would've probably watched it thrice. Oh well. I had fun on both times. I had a happy Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.

As mentioned in my previous blog entry, I only found out about the musical play by accident. Or perhaps by heavens' decree? It's good that I got to watch the play twice because I was able to observe some things. It was interesting.

Before I get started, I'd like to note the main difference on how I watched the same play on different times/days. Day 1: With heart and spirit; Day 2: With heart and brain. Of course I was able to notice things that need improvement on day 1 but I dismissed them as I was so engrossed to the message of the play.

So here I go. I hope I can make this short and quick. Reminder though, I am not a professional in the performing arts. Written below were merely thoughts and observations.

Plot
The story is about how Kennon Road was built. For two years, about 4000 people all around the world worked together to carve the mountains of Benguet. Wow. But more than its history, the play also talked about its future, for it is indeed a heritage of our people (I'm not excluding the rest of the country here) and even of the world.

By the way, to the Japanese people.. doumo arigatou gozaimashita! We may have been conquered by the Imperial Army of Japan, but the story of Kennon Road reminds us that without selfish ambitions we can all work together, in peace and unity.

I would definitely recommend this musical play to all students, not just to the people of Baguio but also to all Filipinos. The story of Kennon Road is not just a story of the people of Baguio or of Benguet but also a story of the Filipinos. Yeah, it's the story of the people of God.

Acting
My favourite actor would be the Japanese grandfather. When he cried, "Revive! Revive!" my eyes were welling with tears. I felt what he felt though his was worse because I haven't seen Baguio when it was still young and yet I've already had a lot of dismay for this supposed beautiful city (the first time I came here).

If I were to choose a favourite singer, I'd choose the obaasan, the Japanese grandmother. When she sang, I felt the emotions, the grief. She reminded me of Yakenogahara (Burnt Field) by Cocco, a Japanese singer. I actually had Memories as LSS.

There's also one actor who, albeit playing no major role, still gave an impressive performance. Of course there were also others who did the same. I appreciate it because I'm quite critical on actors. I expect them to do their best, to give their all. And as I've watched the play twice, I also noticed that there was a subtle but reasonable and better change of facial expression on "Catherine." It was good because I was quite bothered that on day 1 I could hardly find the right facial expressions.

Costume
The yukata or kimono! I only noticed it on day 2 because the two actresses portraying as Japanese stood side by side. One of them wore it wrong because depending on how you "wrap" yourself indicates if you're alive or dead. I didn't know then which one got it wrong but as I checked, wrapping the kimono right over left is only for the dead.

Being an alien in this city got me a little awkward when I saw men in tribal costume marching below the stage. Yes, they passed before me because I was seated on front. But I only felt a little awkward because that's what I usually feel for people who are in awkward situations. It was interesting also, which got me really curious, because they were not afraid to move around with just that loin cloth. I've always wondered where they got such confidence. Then on day 2 I noticed someone's modern undergarment. That explained it all and I was finally relieved.

Music
I love the score. Some reminded me of Mulan's I'll Make a Man Out of You while others reminded me of those typical in a musical play where the notes go... I can't describe it as I'm not a musical person but I think it's like pressing the same low note. I love that in musicals.

I'm not really familiar, though I've already seen a few (on TV/documentaries), with the musical culture of the Igorots and Ibaloys but there are similarities with those of the other indigenous people of the Philippines. I love the flute performances, both solo and as an accompaniment for the guy who sang in native language. I love it because, although I understood nothing, it reminded me of Mindanao. They're quite the same! I actually almost got lost in nostalgia.


Now Playing: Anna Tsuchiya - Stand By Me

No comments:

Post a Comment